So making soups in the crock pot on Sunday has become a routine. Putting everything in the crock pot right after breakfast is easy and I have the rest of the day free.
I have read several recipes for this dish, some with ground turkey, or veggie crumbles, but, since I am trying to watch processed soy products I chose to keep it simple.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
– 2 Sweet potatoes (medium size)
– 2 cans of black beans, or you can make your own, I happened to have 2 cans
– 2-1/2 of diced bell peppers (any color will work)
– 1 diced onion ( yellow or purple, I used a Spanish yellow because that is what I had)
– 1 tbls cumin
– 1tbls chili powder
– 1 tsp cayenne (optional – I was making this for the 8yo too, so I just spiced up my bowl with siracha)
– S & P to taste
Wash, peel and cube the sweet potato, dice the onion and peppers. Add to a crock pot with beans tomatoes and spices. Put on the top, let simmer on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. I did add a (1) cup of water about 1/2 way through, you can judge how thick you would like it.
Serve with cornbread, or tortilla chips, if you like, add a little hot sauce of your choosing and Enjoy!