I spent a good part of yesterday (Sunday) cooking. Vegetarian stuffed peppers ( I also made a version with meat for Steve), Chicken Chili Stew (for Steve) and Pumpkin banana Pecan Muffins. I wasn’t planning in baking but while I was shopping I came across “reduced” for quick sale bananas and canned pumpkin is on sale right now.
|Pumpkin can upside down because I started to open it before I took a picture|
I did manage to make this a little healthy with canola oil and mixing 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 AP flour.
Pumpkin Banana Pecan Muffins (makes about 15 muffins)
(adapted from several recipes)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed ( I used light brown sugar because that’s what I had)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice ( I do not care for pumpkin pie spice)
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup canola oil ( you could use 1/8 cup of oil and 1/8 of applesauce as well)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas & pumpkin. Add oil, eggs and vanilla, until well-blended.
- combine dry ingredients in to the wet, about a 1/2 cup at a time.
- fold in chopped pecans (or walnuts if you prefer)
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes for
standard muffins (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out